What better way to get into the spooky spirit than by watching the cult classic movie Hocus Pocus and making a deliciously dark and eerie cocktail like The Lingering Spirit?
From Hotel Dena’s Agents Only, The Lingering Spirit is a hauntingly beautiful cocktail. It is a gin-based and features a unique black color, thanks to the addition of activated coconut charcoal. This charcoal not only adds the spooky black hue, but also imparts a subtle smoky flavor that complements the gin’s floral notes. The drink is sweetened with a floral-infused syrup, and a touch of freshly squeezed lime juice adds a bright citrusy note.
What makes this cocktail special
- It’s spooky! Like florals in spring, a black drink is perfect for Halloween.
- There are no artificial colors. Adding activated coconut charcoal achieves the black color.
- It may help bloating – Activated coconut charcoal is a natural remedy for flatulence and bloating.
- It’s low in sugar. The recipe calls for a teaspoon or a tablespoon of floral syrup as a sweetener.
- Gin– Fords Gin delivers floral aromas, hints of juniper, and bright spice.
- Floral-infused syrup– Several options include Elderflower, rose, and lavender. You can buy online or make your own.
- Lime juice – Use freshly squeezed lime juice whenever possible; it always tastes better.
- Activated coconut charcoal – For one serving, use one capsule. It makes the drink black without adding any weird aftertaste.
Where can you buy coconut charcoal?
You can buy it in most health food stores, or anywhere they sell supplements. You can also get it online. Make sure there aren’t any other ingredients added. You can also use regular activated charcoal, which is tasteless.
- Making this gin-based drink is simple and takes only a few minutes.
- Always start by getting all your ingredients ready.
- Add Fords gin, floral-based syrup, lime juice, and activated coconut charcoal into a cocktail shaker (carefully open a capsule and empty it into the shaker).
- Add a handful of ice, tightly close, and shake for about 10 seconds until the shaker is very cold to touch.
- Pour into an old-fashioned glass (DOF) with a large ice cube and enjoy!
The Lingering Spirit
The Lingering Spirit is a gin-based cocktail that features a unique black color, thanks to the addition of activated coconut charcoal. This charcoal not only adds the spooky black hue, but also imparts a subtle smoky flavor that complements the gin’s floral notes. The drink is sweetened with a floral-infused syrup, and a touch of freshly squeezed lime juice adds a bright citrusy note.
- Author: Hotel Dena's Agent's Only
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 1 minute
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shaking
- Cuisine: American
- 2oz Fords Gin
- .75oz Garden Syrup
- .75oz Lime Juice
- 1 capsule of coconut charcoal
- Black spider for garnish
- Old-fashioned glass (DOF) with one large ice cube
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add 2oz of Fords Gin, .75oz of floral-based syrup, and .75oz of Lime Juice.
- Crack open a vial of coconut charcoal and add it to the shaker.
- Shake the mixture well to combine all of the ingredients.
- Strain the cocktail into a glass with a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a black spider for a spooky touch.
For an alternate garnish: Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip it in black salt (made by mixing activated charcoal and fine sea salt). Fill it with ice and set it aside.
Keywords: halloween drink, halloween cocktail, coconut charcoal, black cocktail, black drink, gin, fords gin, gin cocktails, black cocktail recipes, halloween recipes